Nasdaq logs best daily gain in about 8 months as banks, tech rally

U.S. stocks rallied on Wednesday, fueled by a surge in financial and tech shares, which helped Wall Street to partially shake off Tuesday’s sharp fall. The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite Index enjoyed a run deep into positive territory, helping it cut into Tuesday’s 100-point drop, and marking its best daily rise since Nov. 7, when it surged 2.4%, according to FactSet data. On Wednesday, the Nasdaq rose 1.4% to 6,234. The S&P 500 index climbed 0.9% at 2,440, representing the benchmark’s best daily rise since April 24. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained 0.7% at 21,454. Those moves come a day after equities saw their worst selloff in more than a month on the back of doubts about President Donald Trump’s pro-growth agenda. The small-cap Russell 2000 nearly closed at a record, finishing up about 1.5% on the day, and highlighting the broad-based nature of the rally. Helping to support a bid for bank shares was a rise in government bond yields, with the 10-year Treasury note yield at 2.22%. Those gains were aided by European Central Bank officials attempting to tamp down the market’s bearish reaction to ECB President Mario Draghi’s comments on Tuesday, which were interpreted as hawkish, pushing the euro and yields globally markedly higher.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

New Mortgage Wholesaler Expands Business

Fresh off a recently made major mortgage acquisition that included a wholesale lending business, Home Point Financial Corp. is expanding the unit.

On May 31, the Ann Arbor, Michigan-based mortgage banking firm closed on the acquisition of Stonegate Mortgage Corp., a publicly traded company.

Out of $9.4 billion in total mortgage originations in 2016, Stonegate’s wholesale lending channel was responsible for $2.1 billion of last year’s volume.


…read more

From:: Financing

Pending Home Sales Flop

By Susanne Dwyer

The ongoing supply shortages that are propping up home prices in many metro areas caused pending home sales in May to slump for the third consecutive month, according to the National Association of Realtors. (PRNewsfoto/National Association of Realtors)

Pending home sales flopped in May as inventory continued to drag on the housing market, down 0.8 percent in the National Association of REALTORS® (NAR) Pending Home Sales Index (PHSI). The PHSI posted 108.5 in May, down from 109.4 in April. The Index is based on contract signings.

The ongoing supply shortages that are propping up home prices in many metro areas caused pending home sales in May to slump for the third consecutive month, according to the National Association of Realtors. (PRNewsfoto/National Association of Realtors)

“Monthly closings have recently been oscillating back and forth, but this third consecutive decline in contract activity implies a possible topping off in sales,” says Lawrence Yun, chief economist at NAR. “Buyer interest is solid, but there is just not enough supply to satisfy demand. Prospective buyers are being sidelined by both limited choices and home prices that are climbing too fast.”

The Midwest was the only region to see no change in the Index in May, at 104.5. The West saw a 1.3 percent decrease in the Index to 98.6, while the South saw a 1.2 percent decrease to 123.4, and the Northeast, a 0.8 percent decrease to 96.4.

The situation is dire for the most affordable homes, according to Yun, with sales of homes between $100,000 and $250,000 up just 2 percent and sales of homes under $100,000 down 7.2 percent year-over-year.

“The lack of listings in the affordable price range are creating lopsided conditions in many areas where investors and repeat buyers with larger down payments are making up a bulk of the sales activity,” Yun says. “Meanwhile, many prospective first-time buyers can’t catch a break. Prices are going up and there’s intense competition for the homes they’re financially able to purchase.

“A much higher share of homeowners compared to a year ago think now is a good time to sell, but until they do, sales will likely stay flat and low inventory will keep price growth moving swiftly,” says Yun.

Joseph Kirchner, Ph.D., realtor.com® senior economist, said that while the reported decline in contract signings is the third monthly slip in a row and could be evidence of a downward trend, he added there is no reason to panic.

“For one, the pending home sales index has been relatively stagnant since 2015, and has dropped to this level during that time,” says Kirchner. “Plus the numbers aren’t a perfect gauge of what’s actually happening in the market. Sales can continue to grow while pending sales numbers are going down if the time between signing a contract and officially closing the sale shortens.

“However, [these] numbers are yet another indication that the lack of homes for sale is having a major, negative impact on the market,” he continues. “The future direction will be brighter if and when we see a significant uptick in inventory, but that unfortunately doesn’t seem to be right around the corner.”

For more information, please visit www.nar.realtor.

For the latest real estate news and trends, bookmark RISMedia.com.

The post <a target="_self" rel="nofollow" …read more

From:: Finance and Economy

Oil extends streak of gains to a fifth session

Oil prices settled higher Wednesday, finding support from the largest weekly decline in total U.S. crude production year to date, even as some analysts dubbed the fall as temporary and domestic supplies edged higher. Total U.S. crude production fell by 100,000 barrels a day last week, according to the Energy Information Administration. That’s when Tropical Storm Cindy disrupted output in the Gulf of Mexico. Domestic crude supplies rose 100,000 barrels for the week, contrary to expectations for a sizable decline. August WTI crude tacked on 50 cents, or 1.1%, to settle $44.74 a barrel on the New York Mercantile Exchange.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

Hecla’s stock pares gains after Q2 revenue outlook is below expectations

Hecla Mining Co. said Friday that, while it expects its operating mines to perform in line with second-quarter estimates, the silver and gold miner expects revenue of $127 million to $137 million, below the FactSet consensus of $145.8 million. Hecla expects Q2 adjusted earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization (EBITDA) of $38 million to $48 million, compared with the FactSet consensus of $52.5 million. Net losses for the quarter ending Friday are expected to be $2.0 million to $8.0 million. Separately, the company estimates the Q2 realized price for gold at $1,235 per ounce to $1,265 per ounce, while July gold futures were last up 0.2% at $1,247.90. The company estimates realized silver prices at $16.50 per ounce to $17.30 per ounce, while July futures were up 1.1% at $16.77 per ounce. Hecla’s stock resumed trade to be up 1%, compared with the pre-halt gain of 1.5%. It has lost 0.2% year to date, while the VanEck Vectors Gold Miners ETF has gained 7.0% and the S&P 500 has climbed 9.0%.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

Fenix’s stock plummets on heavy volume after delisting announcement

Shares of Fenix Parts Inc. plummeted 64% to a record low in relatively active afternoon trade Wednesday, after the recycler and resaler of automotive products said its stock would be delisted from the Nasdaq starting Thursday because it has been unable to file its 2016 annual report in a timely manner. Volume was 2.8 million shares, compared with the full-day average of about 141,000 shares. The stock is expected to begin trading on OTC Markets Group’s OTC Pink market after the delisting. Separately, Fenix announced an amendment to the agreement with its creditors, in which the lenders will refrain until Aug. 31 from exercising rights with respect to Fenix’s noncompliance with certain financial covenants. The agreement also allows the company to add the quarterly interest payment due for the second quarter to the principal amount of debt, and to defer a principal payment of $250,000 that was due Friday to the end of August. The stock, which went public on May 14, 2015 at an IPO price of $8, and closed as high as $11.51 on June 3, 2015, traded recently at 57 cents. It has lost 80% year to date, while the S&P 500 has gained 9%.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

Stanley Black & Decker stock price target raised to $150 from $5 by Instinet

Instinet analyst Michael Wood raised his price target on Stanley Black & Decker Inc. to $150 from $5 on Wednesday, and said he expects the company to benefit strongly from its acquisition of Craftsman and troubles at Sears Holdings Corp. . “Craftsman maintains the highest perceived value of any tools brand, according to a study conducted by YouGov,” Wood wrote in a note. “We believe Craftsman sales have been limited by Sears’ diminishing retail presence and expect Stanley to quickly ramp both retail partnerships and domestic and sourced capacity.” Stanley is currently working “feverishly” to expand capacity at its existing plans and sign contracts for Craftsman, he said. The first production lin is expected to be online by year-end, followed by a flagship Craftsman plant by 2020, he said. In the meantime, Sears is facing mounting problems, that include suppliers that are trying to break their contracts and the recent bankruptcy filing by its Canada unit. “We see an opportunity for Stanley to recapture a portion of what was once $3.5bn in Craftsman retail sales and increase share as Sears’ woes mount,” he wrote. Stanley shares were up about 1%, and have gained 24% in 2017, while the S&P 500 has gained 9%.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

Germany’s BMW plans electric sedan as direct competitor to Tesla’s Model 3: Handelsblatt

Germany’s BMW AG is planning to introduce an electric sedan model at Germany’s biggest car show in Munich in September that is designed to compete directly with Telsa Inc.’s Model 3, German business paper Handelsblatt reported, citing unnamed company sources. The news comes as Tesla is set to start production of its Model 3, the car that will be aimed at the mass market. Demand for the vehicle has helped propel Tesla shares to repeated records this year, making it the biggest U.S. car maker by market capitalization, head of General Motors Co. and Ford Motor Co. . Tesla shares have gained 74% in 2017 so far, while the S&P 500 has gained 8%.

Market Pulse Stories are Rapid-fire, short news bursts on stocks and markets as they move. Visit MarketWatch.com for more information on this news.

…read more

From:: Stock Market News

Easier Mortgage Credit Conditions Not a Warning

Although mortgage executives plan to relax credit requirements, the easing is not the same as was done before the nation’s housing market collapsed nearly a decade ago.

A survey this week by Fannie Mae indicated that senior residential lending executives expect credit requirements on mortgages to ease over the next few months.

But, according to the secondary lender’s chief economist, Doug Duncan, the easing is not an attempt by lenders to increase demand, as was the case before the financial crisis.


…read more

From:: Financing